Friday, May 15, 2015

A bit more hedgerow added

An tigin's soil isn't soil. It is sand. 100% sand. 
To grow much of anything, we will need to amend the soil. We have started hauling in manure and have a compost bin working.
 But at the same time, I realized that I could take advantage of the sand, especially where the hedgerow is going to be near the road. The plants will be exposed to sand and salt from the road being treated in the winter.
 I remembered a time, while visiting a friend in Maryland, that we went to the beach and he showed me some native beach plums. I did a bit of research and beach plums are also native in Maine (along the coast).  So I bought 3 beach plums (they have the yellow tags).

 Then friends of mine dug up some of their rosa rugosa (sea roses, are you seeing a theme here?) and transplanted them to my hedgerow. 

1 comment:

  1. Great job! Very resourceful in your use and re-use of onsite materials. Keep up the good work and be proud of doing it yourself!

    ReplyDelete