Monday, August 24, 2015

coconut coir

 My sister-in-law gave me three packages of coconut coir bricks.
I had never used them before, but had heard of them and was considering trying them.
Since the soil at an tigin is so sandy (read here - sand not soil) that I need to do some serious soil amendment to get the plants I want to grow. 
We have started hauling manure.
I added peat moss to the hedgerow.
 But with the pines and oaks surrounding an tigin, I am worried about the acidity of the soil and peat moss is acidic. 
Anyway, the rain barrels were full to overflowing and the coconut coir is supposed to soak in ten gallons of water. We just opened up the packages and put one and a half in each of the overflow rain barrels.
Instant swamp!
I am looking forward to adding them to the front yard, the area that I am prepping for a perennial flower bed.
If you have any words of wisdom for soil amendment, I would be thrilled to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment