Friday, August 8, 2014

hedgerow for privacy, ideas welcome

The fence line is 8 rods (or 132 feet, or 40.2336 meters) long. The last 6 feet will be where our compost bin is going to be built. So I need to fill in about 126 feet of hedgerow.

Along the fence between our house and the neighbor to the east, we would like to put in a hedgerow to allow for some privacy between the two properties. (This picture was taken near the road facing the back of the property.)
I have two lilacs that I transplanted. Obviously I need to add lots more.
I have a friend who is going to give me a few rhododendrons. I'll put those toward the property.  I was thinking of adding some elderberry bushes, some more lilacs (white, pink, other colors).
Martin is determined to have blackthorn, because it is a common hedge in Ireland.
I also thought that maybe mountain ash would be a nice addition also.
Mainly I want a variety of bushes and small trees that will provide color throughout the season, whether with blossoms, berries, or foliage, and to have the hedge be dense enough so that it provides the privacy that we are looking for.
 I am also considering hydrangea.
Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Most of the plants I am considering blossom in the spring, which leaves the summer and fall a little barren of blooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment