Monday, September 1, 2014

fun finds in our digs

While taking the floor out of Martin's workshop (formerly known as The Barn), he discovered these three soda bottles.
I've done some on-line research.  The Casco Pale Dry Ginger Ale seems to be a rare find.
The only reference I can find to Casco Ginger Ale is in 32 ounce bottles. No where can I find a 7 ounce version.
If any of you find additional information, or can figure out a way to date them, I would be thrilled for you to comment.
The Barn Floor History - the original floor was built right on the ground. After it got to the stage of needing replacing, the owners put joists on the original floor and built a second floor on the joists. The space between the original floor and the added floor was used as a dump.  We think (after having found a 1960s calendar in the original outhouse) that the second floor was added some time in the 60s.



The Moxie bottle also seems to be a challenge to date. I thought it would be easy. Moxie is Maine's official soft drink.  The Moxie Company's Website has good historical information with lots of pictures of labels. Even with that information, I can't seem to date the bottle.  I've looked on e-Bay and similar bottles are for sale, but no dates in the descriptions.


1 comment:

  1. My sister did some digging of her own and found this website that dates a similar Moxie bottle from 1962.

    http://www.angelfire.com/tn/traderz/moxie.html

    She also found another site that dated a bottle with the same label as a 1956 bottle. When I read the description more closely, it said the embossing was on the bottom. Our bottle is embossed on the shoulder. The website might have a similar bottle that I didn't find, so here is the website.

    http://www.worthpoint.com

    search Moxie or 7 oz Moxie bottle

    ReplyDelete