Saturday, September 27, 2014

exciting addition to the project

My brother and sister-in-law visited last weekend. They were excited to see the changes that have happened at an tigin in the past year.
While I was chatting about my plans for the kitchen, I mentioned wanting an antique cook range from the 1920s era, but the ones I had seen on-line were definitely out of the an tigin shoe string budget.
My sister-in-law has a friend who has (had now) a stove that fit the bill and the stove was for sale at a price that Martin and I can afford.
Needless to say, the stove is now ours. We pick it up at Thanksgiving time when we head to my mom's for the Thanksgiving family gathering.
The stove below is similar to the one we just bought (sight unseen). The handles are a bit different, the shade of green is slightly different, and Martin will need to do a bit of work on ours.


The burners are under the cover, that lifts up and slides behind the burners down the back, on the left. The oven is on the top right. The broiler is on the bottom right. There is storage space for baking sheets, pots, and pans on the bottom left.

4 comments:

  1. What brand is this stove and where can I find it on the internet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stove in an Oriole gas range. As far as I can find out, it was built in the early 1930s.
    I spent some time trying to get more information about the Oriole brand without a lot of success. It seems that Oriole was a subdivision of another better known appliance company. However, I am not able to find the website where I found that information originally. If you search for vintage cook stoves, you should find a lot of information on stoves that are available. The stove pictured above is not the one we will be putting in our house. You can find the one we did get on the December, 2014 "vintage gas range" post. Our Oriole range does not have pilot lights, so baking will be an interesting challenge.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/330936394443?lpid=82&item=330936394443&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466 (e-bay)

    http://antiquestoves.net/dir/retro-propane-gsa-cook-stove-sold/971-stepside-right-oriole-retro-gas-or-propane-antique-cook-stove-gkr1635-gry (a company that sells retro stoves)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information on Oriole gas ranges. We bought a 1930's Wedgewood cream colored gas range that looks similar to the Oriole range.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great Karen. I hope you enjoy your Wedgewood. I'd love to hear how it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete