Monday, July 28, 2014

humming bird garden ideas

I have been pestering Martin to help me take measurements of the yards (front and back) at an tigin so I can post dimensions, along with amount of sunlight, and my favorite plants and ask for gardening ideas from anyone who is willing to give me their suggestions. However, today at home in New Gloucester, I had the opportunity to take a couple of pictures of the humming birds that visit my flower beds. Martin and I have had a chat and we would love to have a humming bird garden at an tigin.
So I am asking for some ideas of flowers that will attract humming birds, besides bee balm. Cornish is zone 4 and I would love to have a variety of flowers that blossom as early as possible in the spring to as late as possible in the fall, so that I have a flowerbed that is continuously in bloom. Specifically flowers that will attract humming birds.
The area where we are hoping to put the flower bed gets full sun.

In New Gloucester I have a few perennials that I can transplant to an tigin. One is Bergenia cordifolia 'Purpurea'
These blossom early enough in the spring to offer the humming birds food when they first arrive and there is little available to them. I have seen humming birds feeding from these flowers.

The other is coral bells.
My mother gave me these and the humming birds visit them at her house. I haven't seen the humming birds at the coral bells in my garden, but that may be because while they are in bloom, I am visiting my mom or not paying close attention to my flower gardens.

Needless to say, I would be thrilled to get suggestions.
Thanks in advance for your ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment