Tuesday, October 22, 2013

the PROCESS

There is a process for mixing mortar for laying concrete blocks. As a "mason tender" it is my responsibility to do this process repeatedly.  I have to admit that there are some steps that I need help with or that Martin doesn't trust me with.

First I screen sand into 5 gallon buckets. This is pretty simple since I can just dig sand from where we are working in the basement. For a half batch (in this series of pictures), I dump one 5 gallon bucket of sand into the wheelbarrow.
Then Martin adds the mortar mix. This is the part I don't get to do because I don't know the correct amount (trust issues here).  The mortar mix tends to be clumped up, so we screen it too for easier mixing.


 Then I get to hoe the sand and mortar mix together so it is evenly mixed.
 Once Martin deems it fit, I make a well in the center and very slowly add a small amount of water at a time.  Slowly I work in dry mix from the edges until it is too difficult for me to mix.
 Then Martin gets to take over. This is the "I'm not able" part. I just don't have enough umphf.
 I then get to haul shovel fulls to the mortar tub Martin is working out of. My job is to keep water handy so Martin can add it to the mortar mix as it starts to dry and to keep the tub with just the right amount of mortar in it so Martin doesn't need to slow down laying block.



No comments:

Post a Comment